Skip to main content

Faythe Levine Artist Reflection

This is happening without your permission. The arrival of a new renegade.- Huggy Bear, Her Jazz

Visiting artist Faythe Levine Provided a refreshingly Outsider approach to public and commercial art. I appreciated how her art is project-based rather than medium-based (in sharp contrast to how most academic art classes tend to be taught). The discussion on the distinction of fine art, craft art, and commercial art was ambiguous and difficult to pin down, but an incredibly interesting discussion nonetheless. Sign Painters was a fascinating expose of a hidden art form, but I was disappointed at the false dichotomy between “good” hand painted signs and “bad” vinyl graphic design. Professional graphic designers can put just as much effort and thought into their designs as artisanal sign painters. Lastly, I really appreciated her input on how to market yourself as an openly queer artists who creates openly queer art.

Comments